Jamaican Spice Bun with Malta
⪼ 2 ounces Margarine
⪼ 1 bottle Malta
⪼ 1/2 cup wine
⪼ 1 teaspoon vanilla
⪼ 1/2 tablespoon Browning
⪼ 1 medium egg (optional)
⪼ 8 ounces dark sugar
⪼ 1 pound counter flour
⪼ 1 teaspoon nutmeg
⪼ 1/4 teaspoon salt
⪼ 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
⪼ 1 tablespoon baking powder
⪼ 1 tablespoon mixed spice
⪼ 1/4 pound mixed peel, chopped
⪼ 1/4 pound raisins, soaked
- Melt Margarine and allow it to cool, then add Malta, wine, vanilla, Browning, beaten egg (if used).
- Stir in the sugar and mix until all the granules are dissolved.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients then add the chopped mixed peel and raisins.
- Combine liquid mixture with dry ingredients and mix well.
- Scrape the batter into a greased loaf pan 12"x4"x3".
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a cooling rack.
- To Glaze: Combine 2 tablespoons honey with two tablespoons of water and bring to a boil; remove from flame and use a pastry brush to apply it over the surface of the bun.
|To serve: Serve with slices of cheese.|
|Yield: 1 loaf|